Monday, July 27, 2009

The last few days have been fun. I have been out on the mountain bike for 4 of the last 5 days. Today was particularly gratifying, I'll explain!

The ride I tend to do can be broken down as follows:

1. 1.5 mile on the road then a brief stop to cross the road
2. 0.5 mile to the entry of the fire road at Waterdog Lake park, rest in prep of the main climb.
3. 1.7 mile climb up the fire road - then rest!
4. 0.25 mile of a short but steep decent and then a short but steep ascent!
5. Take in the view and turn around and head back!

Total ride is just shy of 8 miles and take just under 1 hour. If I am riding with someone else then the ride is a bit longer and takes on some nice single track, but from 1-5 is where you earn your stripes as it is all climbing!!!

Today, for the first time I got to the end of point 3 - with no rest! More importantly I made it up the steep ascent at the end of point 4 AND on the way back I made it up the other steep ascent taking you back to point 3!

This is the first time ever I have managed those climbs. It is not just the gradient that gets you but the surface is really dry and loose, so if you loose traction it is really tough to get going again...

Here are some snapshots for you. I should get some to lay out the points above, but I only really thought about the points tonight...

This is taken from the highest part of point 4. The trail on the left is the fire road up to point 3, you can see from point 3 to point 4 is quite an increase in altitude...


This is the view from the highest point at the end of point 4, you can see across the bay into the east bay here. The trail off to the right is the single track that I ride, from time to time!



I am hoping to get out again tomorrow and then Wednesday is the weekly ride, but my legs are in a bit of pain tonight so we shall see...

1 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Yeah the blog returns. Keep it up :)

12:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home